Everything began in 1851, the time when great-great-grandfather Nau, from a wine-growing family, launched himself into wine-making. In 1870, he arrived in the Champagne region and founded the current day company, under the name Alexandre Nau. In 1950, he took retirement and his daughter Elisabeth took over the company with her husband Albéric Duvat. The following year, while they were cooperative members, Albéric decided to install a 2,000 kg Vaslin press, a revolutionary press for the time. He also installed a vat-room and built new premises. In 1958, Albéric Duvat created his own brand of Champagne, in his own name; the brand Alexandre Nau was the property of Elisabeth's brother. In 1991, Albéric and Elisabeth took retirement. The company was taken over by their son Xavier Duvat, the current manager. The following year, Xavier Duvat decided to modernise the vineyard, constructing a new vat-room and installing a 4,000 kg Willmes membrane pressing machine in new premises. Since June 2010, his son Leonard joined the company, after obtaining a Baccalauréat specialising in Vines and Wines. The vineyard is made up of 10 ha today, spread over three departments: Marne, Aisne and Aube. The Duvat family grows the three authorised Champagne varieties with 50% Chardonnay, 30% Pinot Meunier and 20% Pinot Noir.